A new set of requirements for Harvard College students will take effect in Fall 2019, replacing the current General Education program. Students in the class of 2019 benefit from the spirit of the new requirements through greater flexibility in how they can fulfill the current Gen Ed requirements.
What requirements do I need to fulfill?
- The 8 current Gen Ed Requirements: You must fulfill all 8 category requirements.
What flexibility do I have?
To fulfill AI and CB:
- Choose one course approved for AI or CB.
- And take another course in either AI or CB or a departmental course that is tagged in my.harvard as Arts & Humanities.
To fulfill SLS and SPU:
- Choose one course approved for SLS or SPU.
- And take another course in either SLS or SPU or a departmental course that is tagged in my.harvard as Science & Engineering.
To fulfill SW and USW:
- Choose one course approved for SW or USW.
- And take another course in either SW or USW or a departmental course that is tagged in my.harvard as Social Sciences.
- The order in which you take these courses does not matter. The Gen Ed office will manually update your Academic Advising Report before the start of each term.
For Empirical & Mathematical Reasoning, you may take one course that is already approved for EMR or any Math, Applied Math, Computer Science or Statistics course.
- If a Math, Applied Math, Computer Science, and Statistics course counts for EMR, it cannot also count as a Science & Engineering course that fulfills SLS or SPU.
How to do I know how a course is tagged?
- Check my.harvard to learn whether a course fulfills Gen Ed or distribution requirements. At the bottom of each course description you will see two fields: General Education and Divisional Distribution. If a course fulfills Gen Ed or distribution requirements, that information will be listed here. If the field reads “None,” then it does not. For examples of how to search for courses that fulfill requirements, you can watch the videos below.
Can I petition to have a course count differently than it is tagged?
- Only for Ethical Reasoning; no other categories allow petitions. Learn more.
Can I take courses pass/fail?
- You can take one of your Gen Ed requirements pass/fail, except EMR which must be taken for a letter grade.
How do I know which requirements I’ve already met, and which I haven’t?
- Check your Academic Advising Report in my.harvard. For examples of how to read Academic Advising Reports, you can watch the videos below.